Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    catbones Guest

Wink 2001 Chevy Cavalier Cluster/Gauges Problem

Hi,

Alright first of all, I'm not going to go all too technical here as I'm in the wrong field at that point.

My story is, I have a 2001 Chevy Cavalier, Auto and 2.2L. Recently, my gauges or speedometer's pin dropped 5 miles (10km) below zero. In other words it does not stop at "0" as it did before.

Dealership tried to adjust the dam thang, but nothing it seems that the motor possibly is broken or something else is wrong. Every time the thing is adjusted or so they say, and the cluster is plugged in, you hear a motor type of sound, the pins go up and down a little and things get reset to normal.

All other stuff works fine but the speedometer.

Now, the dealer says replacing the cluster is the way to go. Problem, price. $400 - $600 .... why, well I moved from US to Canada and in canada they only have KM's and Cluster with KM's too... great so far, following good.

Ok, junk yard sells used 2001 chevy cavalier cluster, the whole thang for $75 no problem there on the price.

Now comes the good question that seems no junk yard, mechanic or even dealership can answer me, unless I pay the $200 buck for labor.

Question #1: If I have a MPH cluster in, and install a KMH cluster, will it all work?

Question #2: Do the 2001 Cavalier clusters read the milage off the PCM or from the cluster itself?

Dealer says the Cluster might read it of the PCM or the cluster, they are not sure. Either way a reset would have to be done. Reset to change milage to km on the bottom thingie. I hope someone will know the answers to the questions above. btw, seems like couple bulbs went out recently too... so the thing might be dying too. I need to replace it, either its for $400 - 600 or $75.

Thank you all for your time and reading the above, hope to hear from someone soon.

Angie.

stock_fire Guest

we had a new cluster put in at the dealership in our 2000 cavalier. In the 2000+ clusters the milage is read off the PCM. As for the second question about swtching to a metric cluster i don't think there should be a problem.

hoover Guest

You could try ordering a MPH cluster from a yard in the states and have it shipped up here.

EDIT:Just found this - catch it while you can. http://cgi.ebay.ca/2000-00-Chevrolet...QQcmdZViewItem

sUiCiDe Guest

It is very simple to swap

Im sure there would be someone in your area that could help you

You are located?

Real Name
    Matt

I have a Cluster up for grabs (2000+) cavy cluster is perfect condition if you want it . (A hell of a lot cheaper then a dealer one as well.
    Need Something Powder Coated ?

https://www.facebook.com/PtPowderCoating

PAIN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ShortHand
    I have a Cluster up for grabs (2000+) cavy cluster is perfect condition if you want it . (A hell of a lot cheaper then a dealer one as well.
    Shorty how much you want for it? auto or standard?

catbones Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ShortHand
    I'd take it, where you located ? also what are you asking for it. Thank you for offering it to me.

catbones Guest

Alright, Thanks for everyones feedback. I mean, its weird i guess from my side because of having mixed messages.

Some people say that if the cluster that I purchase from a junk yard came from a vehicle that had lets say 50,000 miles/km, and mine has 75,000 miles/km, and I plug this one, it will say 50,000 miles/km not 75,000 ...

Other people, say it reads from the PCM, cars computer, and its plug and play. I don't really care if the speedometer is in KMH or MPH. As long as it works, and displays correct milage (75,000) ...

I will give it a shot on monday, purchasing, hoping to get it cheaper if not, not a bid deal if I get the one for $75. I will keep all you up to date on this, hope this also helps other people here.

BTW: I'm located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Real Name
    Bumdart

one of my old clusters broke and had to replace it, the kms are stored in your PCM not the cluster like pre 2000. so you will have no problems

Real Name
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn Wolf
    one of my old clusters broke and had to replace it, the kms are stored in your PCM not the cluster like pre 2000. so you will have no problems
    I think the 99's are also in the PCM like the 00+...because it does have a digital output